Become a member. Help your community!
Being a member of the Green Timbers Heritage Society is a great way for you to connect with like-minded individuals in your neighborhood, and other nature-based organizations in Surrey, who care about and work towards the protection and preservation of our natural heritage.
Joining the Society also provides members with these benefits:
- Proactive Promotion of Nature Conservation:
- Being a member of our Society will bring you many opportunities to be a proactive voice for nature conservation in Surrey. From letter writing, to attending meetings, joining committees, and roving through the Park, you can make a difference for the Forest!
- Become directly involved in the stewardship of the Forest:
- Being a member, you will become directly involved in the stewardship of the forest and provide you with all the materials and knowledge necessary to be a proactive member!
- Electronic newsletter:
- We put together an informative newsletter to keep our members informed about the pressing issues in the Forest, from challenges related to forest management to ecological issues and other important information for our members to know.
- Work with youth:
- Our administration of Surrey’s Natural Areas Partnership (SNAP) allows us to be involved with and mentor youth interested in pursuing a career in environmental education and conservation. In addition, we are continually seeking youth volunteers on special projects and initiatives!
What You Can Do:
There are many ways our members participate in our Society. Depending on your availability and interests, consider the following roles, and contact us if you have any questions about what’s involved!
- Board of Directors:
- Consider running for election on our Board of Directors. This is one of the most effective ways you can make a difference for our Society, by lending your time, energy and enthusiasm to ensure our Society runs smoothly and effectively! See “Who We Are” for a list of all the Board of Directors positions.
- Urban Forestry Committee Representative:
- As a director, you are eligible to be our representative on the 11-member Green Timbers Urban Forest Advisory Committee. The committee has a wider representation than the Society and plays a complementary role in the management of the forest, making important recommendations to the land managers about maintaining and enhancing the ecological integrity and resilience of the forest for future generations.
- Volunteer Nature Interpreter & Tour Guide:
- Do you have an interest, or experience, in leading groups of people through nature? Would you like to learn about the principles of nature interpretation? Our volunteer guides play an important role by leading people through the forest, telling our story, encouraging stewardship and fostering connections with the forest!
- Youth Mentor:
- We enjoy working with Surrey’s Natural Areas Partnership (SNAP) and other youth organizations in Surrey dedicated to the conservation of nature. Our members help encourage youth on their journey to becoming future leaders!
- Volunteer Forest Observers:
- Do you enjoy simply walking through the park? Why not keep an eye out for us, and report anything you see? We’ll provide you with guidelines on what to look for, who to report to, and some handy brochures to give out if you see anyone along the way!
- Member at Large:
- Just want to support us? Support from our members is welcomed as it keeps us motivated to continue our stewardship of the Forest.
Click here to join our Society!